The trophy winner is adjusting to life in the NFL. Let’s take a look at DeVonta Smith’s parents before the Philadelphia Eagles Week 3 matchup with the Dallas Cowboys. Meet Christina and Kelvin, Christina’s mother and father.
The wide receiver has the opportunity to shine against the Cowboys
DeVonta Smith makes his debut appearance on Monday Night Football as the Eagles take on the Cowboys. The Eagles selected Smith tenth overall in the 2021 NFL Draft. He earned the Heisman Trophy and two College Football National Championships as a senior for Alabama the year before.
Smith is only the fourth wide receiver to win the Heisman Trophy since Desmond Howard in 1991.
The 22-year-old has had a respectable, if not spectacular, start to his NFL career, with eight receptions for 87 yards and a touchdown in two games.
Smith will be trying to make an impression on a national audience versus Dallas in Week 3 with more possibilities to contribute on the horizon.
Who are DeVonta Smith’s parents? Meet dad, Kelvin
The WR was born in Amite City, Louisiana, on November 14, 1998.
Kelvin Dickerson and Christina Smith-Sylve are DeVonta Smith’s parents.
Kelvin worked as a manager at a vehicle detail company, but DeVonta only saw his father on weekends.
Despite this, Kelvin has been a vocal supporter of his son, and he was photographed celebrating DeVonta’s Heisman Trophy winner.
He was there for DeVonta throughout her college years, even becoming famous after being caught in the crowd wearing a hoodie with the Jordan sobbing meme on it.
Christian Smith-mother Sylve’s DeVonta Smith
Christian Smith-Sylve, Smith’s mother, is also a close friend.
Smith surprised his mother by buying her a new house after earning a $20.141 million contract with the Philadelphia Eagles earlier this year.
“You are a mother to the rest of the world, but you are the absolute universe to me,” he wrote with the video.
Smith’s mother worked as a social worker while he was a young football player.
He told Sports Illustrated that seeing her in difficult circumstances at other people’s houses made him appreciate her even more.
“I think it made me a better son,” Smith said, “because knowing what goes on in other people’s houses, I didn’t want to put my mom in that scenario.
DeVonta Smith College Stats
- As a true freshman at Alabama, DeVonta Smith had eight receptions for 160 yards and three touchdowns.
- In the 2019 College Football Playoff National Championship, he had the game-winning touchdown reception in overtime to defeat Georgia.
- Smith has 42 receptions for 693 yards and six touchdowns as a sophomore.
- Smith had 68 receptions for 1,256 yards and 14 touchdowns as a junior.
- He recorded 117 receptions for 1,856 yards and 23 touchdowns as a senior.
- In November 2020, he broke the all-time SEC career record for receiving touchdowns.
- In the CFP National Championship Game versus Ohio State, he set records for title game catches (12) and touchdown receptions (3), as well as totaling 215 yards.
- In 2020, Smith was named the CFP National Championship Offensive MPV.
With Alabama, he won two CFP National Championships (2017 and 2020).
- While playing for Alabama, he set more than seven school receiving records.
- Smith received the Heisman Trophy, Maxwell Award, Walter Camp Award, Biletnikoff Award, Paul Hornung Award, AP College Football Player of the Year, Sporting News College Football Player of the Year, and SEC Offensive Player of the Year for his exceptional achievements in 2020.
- In 2020, he was also named to the Unanimous All-American team. He has been named to the SEC first team twice.
DeVonta Smith’s Salary and Net Worth
DeVonta Smith, the Heisman Trophy winner, is one of the NFL’s most promising talents in the next years. Smith, who was picked by the Philadelphia Eagles, will almost certainly sign a hefty contract with his team. His contract will almost definitely provide him with a sizable compensation. He has a long way to go in his professional career, which he has only begun. His current net worth is estimated to be less than a million. It will quickly increase to a multi-million dollar figure once Smith begins to work his magic in the NFL.